Some addictions are toxic and destroy their hosts and yet some can be very beneficial to us as humans. One of these addictions that can be great is that of Jiu-Jitsu. There are many benefits to becoming addicted to the gentle art and almost no drawbacks.
- It’s good for the body. The gentle art is great conditioning and can truly aid in both weight loss and building a better overall physique. While this may seem trivial it is honestly the reason a lot of people begin training before they realize how awesome Jiu Jitsu really is. But when in doubt we should look to some of the greats for answers so here is one. “No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.” Socrates
- It’s good for your mind as well. Jiu Jitsu is physical problem solving and involves quit a bit of quick thinking. It is good to have something in your life that can challenge you both mentally and physically. The mental challenge comes in many forms, from challenging your own ego to facing your fears to sharpening your reactions.
- It’s healthier than drugs, alcohol and gambling…do I really need to explain this ?
- You meet people from all walks of life. Many times in life we are bound by our own social circle and many times this holds us back from meeting new and interesting people. In Jiu Jitsu we get people from all races, body types, careers, educations and ages. The Dojo is truly a melting of great people in search of the same thing.
- You will never satisfy your addiction. In many other cases this is a drawback, but not in Jiu Jitsu. In Jiu Jitsu there will never be a point where you have truly mastered the art. We are all students and there will always be more to learn. Many people become bored in other arts and other sports because they feel they have reached as far as possible, but I believe in Jiu Jitsu we always feel the thirst for more knowledge.
So go out and get your daily dose of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu…Feed the Addiction .