2016 is over, and 2017 is here. How time flies! True, you may not have accomplished everything you wanted to in 2016, but with a new year you can try again! It’s time for reflection and time to set new Jiu-Jitsu goals for the year.
Most BJJ practitioners goals for themselves every year. While some are more realistic than others, they do provide a great opportunity to better ourselves in 2017.
Here are some Jiu Jitsu New Year’s resolutions to consider for 2017.
1. Train more than last year
Isn’t this what we all really want? I know I do! This one is super common for the casual BJJ practitioner and die hard competitor alike. It is always worthwhile to try and make more time for the things we love. This will take discipline and effective time management, but it is something we can all strive for.
2. Compete in one more tournament (or for the first time!)
Competition is a great tool for us as Jiu Jitsu practitioners. Some people only compete once a year and some do more than 10 or even 20. Regardless most of us feel we could compete a little more.
3. Get in better shape
I know this one is a little hard to talk about with all the holiday treats that are tempting us at every turn this time of year, but it is a worthwhile goal none the less. Most BJJ practitioners have in mind to be in better shape. In fact, that may be one of the reasons we start training in the first place!
Whether you just started and are shooting to better your overall health and fitness, or you’re a seasoned vet looking to make weight for an early 2017 competition, we all want to be in a little better shape and a little healthier for a new year!
Sometimes we get caught in a rut in BJJ. We aren’t seeing the progress we’d hoped for, or it isn’t coming as quickly as we thought it would. Life’s daily challenges make even getting to class seem like an uphill battle.
- Maybe we have nagging injuries to deal with. Whatever the case may be, the beginning of a new year is the perfect time to refocus, and keep in mind all the possibilities that a new year can bring on the mat!
- Maybe a stripe or belt promotion is in your future!
- Maybe a place on a tournament podium is just around the corner!
- Or, maybe a solid year of great training and incremental progress is waiting to be taken hold of! Just keep a positive attitude and attack the new year with everything you’ve got!
5. Be a better YOU than the year before
I admit, this one may be a little harder to define than the others, but it is important nonetheless. BJJ gives us all a great opportunity to improve ourselves on the mat and off. On the mat, it teaches us patience and perseverance that can be used every day of our lives off the mat. Patience with the people around us. Perseverance to fight on when life gets tough. It teaches us how to be humble and to respect those we meet. It helps us to focus on something that unites us (BJJ!) when so much in life wants to divide us.
What are your Jiu-Jitsu goals for 2017? Feel free to comment and share with us your hopes and dreams for a new year in BJJ. Here’s to hoping they all come true!