In the last 10 years Jiu Jitsu has changed so much.
So many new techniques have been developed and there have been so many new rules for tournaments.
Some of the change have been good , but some has lead Jiu Jitsu down a disturbing path.
Jiu Jitsu has been developed more and more for sport and less and less for self-defense. [click to continue…]
Once you have been training a while you will start to find that bjj will start to creep into your every day life. More and more you will find yourself not only thinking about training, looking at things differently. The skills you develop as part of your training will affect the way you think about everything in your day to day life. See if any of the following have started to affect you: [click to continue…]
We want to thank everybody who has grabbed a pair of grappling spats from us over the last 5 years.
To start the process, I need to most amazing photo ever of you rocking your Ok! Kimonos spats.
Simply to to our Facebook page (click here to do that) and post your photo on our Facebook wall with the hashtag #showyourspats.
In one week (just one!), I’ll post them all together in an album our Facebook page for people to vote on.
EVERYBODY who enters will win something awesome, but the grand prize winner will win something even more amazing.
Entries must be submitted prior to Friday, February 26th.
Really looking forward to sharing some awesomeness. Click the link below and post your photo on our FB wall with the hashtag #showyourspats to enter 🙂
Click the image above, or here.
Use the code.
Buy all the things.
We love you 😉
Ok, so with that image, it’s not really that much of a surprise.
But we do have 40% off of everything in our store until Friday.
I have been training Brazilian Jiu Jitsu for a little over 5 years now. I used to be the only female at our club, but now our academy offers a Ladies Only BJJ class. This has been a great opportunity to get ladies in the door who otherwise might not have even thought to venture in. Throughout my years of training, I have heard many arguments that women should not be treated any differently than men, but what I have found is that every student is different and every student should be treated accordingly. Everyone has a backstory of why they visited the gym, for self-defense, fitness, or whatever. Understanding the whys and understanding the individual student and teammate are important.
In Jiu-Jitsu there has been a recent trend of having super fights and sub only more and more often ! People love super fights because we get to see the best of the best go at it even when there is a weight or age separation. While we have seen many great matches between metamoris, polaris pro and ebi there are a few matches many fans are still dying to see . While most of these matches will probably never happen they are fun to play with and think about. So lets discuss what is in my opinion the top super fights we would all like to see.
If you’ve been training for even a few years, you’ve seen many people come and go. The vast majority of people never make it past white belt, and even fewer get to purple belt. This trend continues all the way to black belt and beyond. It has been said that only 1-3% make it to black belt. 25% of the people at back will ever reach coral or red.
Recently, we wrote about the traits of a successful jiu jitsu player. Here’s 7 more of them sure to upgrade your game!
Not everyone is fortunate enough to have a partner that trains jiu jitsu with them. Most people will have a partner that will have no participation in jiu jitsu and potentially little interest in starting. This does not however mean that they will have some questions about your love for jiu jitsu. This may all be a little strange to them, so I thought I would have a look at 7 things about BJJ your spouse wants to know.
1. Why do you want to spend so much time does at the gym getting sweaty and rolling around on the floor? Jiu jitsu is extremely challenging and there are a lot of techniques to learn and drill. Plus the rolling around on the floor stuff is great fun, even though it makes me achey and sore, I love going back for more.
2. Why do you want to spend so much money on pyjamas? It’s not just about the technical and physical training with jiu jitsu its about the bjj lifestyle as well. Part of that is looking good whilst
3. Why do you want to suddenly buy leggings? I guess this is worse for guys than girls. It is pretty difficult to understand that spats are not leggings, they are a manly and colourful armour to protect you against cuts and skin infections.
4. Why do you keep turning down my cooking on the run up to a competition? Despite your food being better than something from a Gordon Ramsay restaurant, I do fight in a weight category. On the run up to a competition I have to watch what I eat to make sure I am within my category. This is nothing to do with your cooking and I sincerely apologise for how grumpy I am during this time also.
5. Why are you on the computer at night so much? Well trying to figure out the counter to the sweep or submission you got caught with in class takes time. This time on You Tube is important research. As is commenting on all the Facebook posts about slick techniques and new jiu jitsu gear. This also ties in with points 2 and 3.
6. Why did that guy win by wrapping his legs around your head? This may be difficult for those that don’t appreciate the intricacies of what you are doing. I would recommend making them sit through the entire feed of the world masters as you comment and explain the techniques to them. A word of warning, this may be the make or break point of your relationship.
7. What do you mean girls train at your gym to? Yes women to train jiu jitsu. This does not mean that the women at my academy look like they are going out partying. In fact the women will have no make up, ritz hair and are frequently just as sweaty as I am. It also comes to a point where you stop actually seeing them as females. To the point where you actually do a double take when you eventually see them in a dress.
Hopefully these will give your spouse a good insight into the art/sport you enjoy so much.